Welcome Veterans!

Our veteran students carry a higher GPA than their non-veteran counterparts.  Your skills, discipline and drive will help you achieve your next milestone in life.  At Helena College, we salute our veterans and their families for their service and their sacrifice.  Let us help you obtain your college degree.

Applying for Benefits

APPLY for your G.I. bill benefits online at: www.gibill.va.gov

Military with Books
  • Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 33 Transfer of Eligibility
  • Chapter 35 Dependents/Survivors
  • Chapter 1606 Guard/Reserves
  • Yellow Ribbon

If you are unsure under which Chapter you are eligible to receive benefits, see the Veterans Eligibility page.

If you are Chapter 30, or 1606, you MUST certify your enrollment at the end of every month. Call 1-877-823-2378 or go online to www.gibill.va.gov

If you at some time qualified for benefits but are no longer eligible, you may qualify for exemption from tuition charges and registration fee only (other fees are not included). Please see the Financial Aid office for a Montana University System Honorably Discharged Veteran Fee Waiver application. Download here

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to fund tuition expenses. You must be 100% eligible for Chapter 33. This program will benefit those who do not have Montana state residency at Helena College.

Application and Certification Information

Apply to the college.

  • Take the ACCUPLACER test for math and English placement if you do not have transfer credits or sufficient ACT/SAT scores.

AFTER your college Admissions enrollment file is complete:

  • Meet with an advisor to register for classes.
  • Complete a Certifying Information form and Requirement/Guideline form and meet with the Veteran Resources Program Coordinator (Donaldson Campus, Room 119) every semester you want to be certified for benefits.
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Veteran's Administration.
  • Sign and return your bill to the Cashier even if you receive G.I. bill benefits. Finalize online only if you pay in full or full financial aid is processed. Failure to sign will result in course cancellation.
  • Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 are paid directly to the student; payments begin approximately one month after the semester starts.
  • ALL CHAPTERS: You must sign a “Benefits & Recipient Reporting Responsibilities” form. Pick up a form in Room 119, or download here: Chapter 33 form or Chapter 1606, 30, 35 form.
  • Audited, challenged and online course numbers below 100 are not certifiable.
  • Report immediately when dropping/adding courses or withdrawing completely.

You are ultimately responsible for tuition/fee payment to the college and for understanding your benefits.

The college’s Veteran Resources Office’s (VRO) responsibility is to complete an accurate term certification enrollment that identifies the start/end date, credit hours, tuition/fees, and to report grades and dates of attendance. The VRO does not determine VA education eligibility or beneficiary payments. The Veterans Affairs education processing office is the only facility that will determine the amount of payment that will be issued.

The amount of credits you take will reflect the benefits you will receive:  (Summer credit loads differ.)

  • 12 credits= Full benefits
  • 9-11 credits=3/4 benefits
  • 6-8 credits=1/2 benefits
  • Less than 6 credits = Tuition & fees

View benefit rates at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/resources/benefits_resources/rate_tables.asp

The Veterans Administration expects veterans to make satisfactory academic progress: Academic Progress

If you have issues related to PTSD or other concerns, we have a licensed counselor on campus you can meet with at no charge to serve you. Contact your VA Coordinator to make an appointment.

You may also be eligible for classroom accommodations. For more information, visit Disability Services.

Additional Contacts

Montana University System Veterans Assistance Webpage

On Campus Free Mental Health Counseling: Call 447-6956 or 447-6953 to schedule.

G.I. Bill Eligibility, Education & Training Programs, Licenses/Certifications: Ken Gemlich, MT Office of Public Instruction, 406-444-4122

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): Dave Wirtz, 406-495-2013

Navigating the VA and Unresolved Problems: Bruce Knutson, Senator Jon Tester’s office, 406-449-5401

MT National Guard Transition Assistance Advisor: Pete Gardzina, 406-324-3257

Veterans Administration Regional Muskogee, OK, Office: 1-888-442-4551

Monthly Enrollment Certification:  1-877-823-2378


Tammy Steckler, Room 119, tammy.steckler@umhelena.edu
1115 N. Roberts Street, Helena, MT 59601 - Phone 406-447-6953 - FAX 406-447-6397